Question:
are there blak tail deer in illinios?
strongarm
2006-05-08 17:10:15 UTC
i know some one who may have seen 2 of them in jerseyville

while turkey hunting.
Three answers:
concordbridge
2006-05-13 17:42:14 UTC
Not likely. He probably saw a white tail that was a little dark. Blacktail are strictly a Pacific Northwest deer.

Whitetails are Odocoileus virginianus

http://www.mnh2.si.edu/education/mna/image_info.cfm?species_id=231

It is easier to tell them apart by the antlers than the tail color. Blacktail and muleys have a main antler beam that goes up then branches. Whitetails have a main antler beam that goes forward and the tines go up.

Some animal lists don't even include the Blacktail. They say that they are a subspecies of Mule Deer.

Odocoileus hemionus

http://www.mnh2.si.edu/education/mna/image_info.cfm?species_id=229

This link tells you more than you will ever need to know about blackies.

http://www.blacktailcountry.com/html/blkpage.htm

In the field, I can't actually tell the difference between mule deer and blacktails, but I think the horns hanging in my garage are blacktail.

Keep your muzzle in a safe direction!

Leigh M

http://www.NWSafe.org
sosickiam
2006-05-08 18:09:39 UTC
there just might be some Black tail deer but I am so sorry I doubt if you will find blak tail deer.
paul67337
2006-05-09 07:22:36 UTC
i lived in edwardsville a few years, never heard of them.