Question:
Can a bullet coming down from the air penetrate my roof?
Joe
2012-12-31 22:18:29 UTC
If a bullet is fired from an undisclosed location can that said bullet coming down penetrate a roof of a house?
Twelve answers:
Mike
2013-01-01 17:10:02 UTC
A simple answer is that if you fire a bullet straight up in the air, it will return to your level at the same velocity as when it left your barrel. If you fire at an angle, you need to find the vertical velocity from your gun and that is the velocity it will return to your level...

If you shoot a .30-06 bullet, it leaves your muzzle at 2910 fps, or Mach 2.5 (2.5 x's the speed of sound). If you shoot it straight up, it will return to you at Mach 2.5 and yes, can easily penetrate your roof. Gravity is 32.17 ft/sec sq so it would return to you about 3 minutes later.
Little Mo!
2013-01-01 01:33:33 UTC
I'm going with No. The only really way to get a bullet to pass through a roof would be to stand on a tower next to the house and shoot the bullet down into the roof ot the home. If that were done the bullet would have enough kinetic energy to penetrate the roof of the house. this is not true for all guns though rifles will have an easier time doing this verse a hand gun with has a larger CAL bullet. Now if you were to shoot a rifle/ handgun straight up in the air and it fell straight back to earth it would not have enough mass by the time it reached terminal velocity to penetrate a roof. It would more likely bounce off. Now if someone were to say shoot a cannon ball into the air it would have enough mass when it reached terminal velocity to do some serious damage to what ever it landed on. Now if you were to shoot a bullet bellow 50 Cal at a 10 degree arc into the air and it happened to struck a roof a mile or two away while it as on the decent in its ballistic trajectory it would have bleed of 80 to 90 percent of it's speed/energy and wouldn't penetrate the roof.

99.999 times out of ten u have to point it down directly at the roof and be, oh lets say closer then three hundred meters to the roof.
2016-12-27 16:53:51 UTC
specific and NO. in case you hearth straight away up so as that gravity reasons it to lose velocity, then while it stops increasing, while it falls, it falls as the different merchandise. it is going to ultimately attain terminal velocity, the place the friction by using air acts like a brake so it basically would not fall any quicker, which then relies upon on the totally length of the bullet. The extra frontal section in line with unit mass, the decrease the terminal velocity. Mythbusters did this, and located that a falling bullet, falling basically by using the impression of gravity would not carry adequate kinetic potential to kill you. injury you, specific, kill you, NO. A falling bullet by using gravity on my own shouldn't penetrate the bone of the cranium of a wholesome grownup, yet you will in all probability choose stitches to close the wound and function a monster headache in the morning. the better the time-honored, the bigger the bullet, the extra it is going to injury and there is not any difference between a falling bullet and a falling pebble. Now, whether it particularly is a bullet fired at something different than vertical, then there's a velocity factor that would not bypass to 0 because of fact the vertical bullet does while it starts to fall. That added horizontal velocity interprets to added kinetic potential, which extra to the outcomes of gravity could desire to be adequate to kill you. The kinetic potential will enhance the decrease the arc the bullet makes, meaning fired parallel to the floor has the main potential from the powder and the least from gravity and could maximum actually kill you. it particularly is thoroughly variable from flat and point and maximum deadly to thoroughly vertical and least deadly. someplace from point to vertical is the place it differences the finished potential adequate to bypass from deadly the non-deadly. the final ingredient is, a falling bullet flutters, very reminiscent of a leaf which interprets to even slower terminal velocity. that's the spinning of the bullet conserving it streamlined which makes it extra deadly than the falling bullet vacationing on the comparable velocity.
?
2013-01-02 01:42:55 UTC
Depends on a lot of factors no one can know, not the least of which is:

1) Type of bullet

2) Angle fired

3) Distance it was fired

4) Velocity of bullet when it hits.

But it is theoretically possible, if conditions are right, for a bullet to do so.
eferrell01
2013-01-01 14:05:40 UTC
Discounting all the other answers, have you seen the dents small hail can put in your car? A bullet is a lot more dense and will do more than dent your car. I found a site to calculate terminal velocity of an object from NASA.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll276/eferrell01/?action=view¤t=bullet.jpg

I calculated the weight in pounds and cross section area of a 230 gr. .45 caliber bullet. The drag co-efficient was given. See the pic how fast that bullet was going when dropped from 2000 feet. I belive at 474 fps a .45 bullet would go through a wooden roof if it didn't hit a rafter.The flight calculator can be found here:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/termv.html
2013-01-01 00:56:27 UTC
Generally no. Bullets are aerodynamic. But they are not THAT aerodynamic.

What I am saying is that bullets are designed to travel in a horizontal fashion when fired from a rifle (or pistol). So they are made to take advantage of what is known as the ballistic coefficient and a few other natural laws of physics.

As a footnote. The allied air forces used to drop what are known as "lazy dog bombs" on some axis power cities. These were small metal "things" that used gravity (and kinectic) to puncture through the roofs of buildings. But they were designed to do that - travel straight down through the air, using only gravity to propel them. Bullets have entirely different design features.

See the links below for some interesting facts about the Lazy Dog bombs. (Which technically are not bombs at all, since they lack explosives.)
?
2012-12-31 22:34:27 UTC
depends on the size and weight of the bullet, a bigger bullet would carry more energy and thus, penetrate better. it also depends on how it ended up in the air. if it's being shot into the sky, it'll only come back down with terminal velocity and thus, have less energy than if the shooter was aiming across and it fell into roof from a straight trajectory and still carrying energy from the shot.
gunplumber_462
2012-12-31 22:25:49 UTC
Depends on how far it has traveled. If someone shot at your roof from fairly close, yes. If it fell on your roof after having been fired near vertically then being pulled back to Earth by gravity, not unless you're living in a tent.
?
2017-02-14 22:28:20 UTC
A well-trained dog makes everyone happy, including his owner. Take a little time training him, and you'll never regret it; you'll always have an obedient dog by your side. Go here http://OnlineDogTraining.enle.info/?O2qe

For the potty training: Try taking her out every hour on the hour and don't bring her back inside until she potties! And as soon as she finishes pottying give her a tasty snack and reward and praise her. The best way to potty train is to prevent accidents, so if you can, get some pet scent remover and clean your house from top to bottom. Wal-Mart has some stuff called "OUT! Natural" and it works very well. It smells like lemons and herbs and it also removes stains. Then, if you can, get pee-pee pads. LOTS of them. Line your entire floor with them if you have to securing the seams with scotch tape. Only replace the ones she potties on daily. Leave the rest. After while you can start removing them one at a time until there are only a few left. It sounds complicated but it works. Most people use this trick for small rooms like a bath room or bedroom they have to leave the dog in when they go somewhere. Sooner or later she'll get down to just pottying on one pad, and then you slowly move it a few inches towards your door every day. Then move it outside. You should never punish a puppy for pottying in the house, only prevent it, and reward them for going in the proper place. And don't clean up the mess when they're watching. It's like a mind game for them.

For the chewing: Get her rawhide toys, bones, Greenies, rope toys, balls, squeaky toys and anything else you find at the store that's made for dogs and she might enjoy. Give her 2 or 3 a day, and rotate them so she only has the same ones for a day or two and she won't get bored with them. I understand you're against physical punishment, but really you should try using a loud newspaper or paper towel roll (that's empty of course), or an envelope with the plastic window thing in it. Just something that makes a lot of noise but doesn't cause pain. I found the envelope works best. Keep a very good eye on her at all times, and when you see he headed for something she shouldn't have tell her NO! If you can stop her before she gets to it that really speeds up the training. If not it's okay, just tell her no, and if she doesn't respond, tell her a second time and follow up with the paper.

For the crate training: It's best to work on this when you leave the house and no one is around. Doing it at night keeps everyone up and it's just annoying. Put her in the crate, and cover it with an old blanket so she can't see you leaving. When you leave it doesn't matter how much she cries, she'll take the hint that crying won't get her her way. And whatever you do, never ever ever let her out of the crate while she's crying. This enforces the behavior and you'll never get her trained to sit there without crying. If you can't get her to quiet right before you take her out, make a loud noise like clapping your hands and as soon as she's quiet you can let her out.

I hope it all works out for you... if you need any more help feel free to e-mail me. I can look up some of the sites I got my training info for you. Oh, and Bull Dogs are very stubborn by nature, they take longer than some breeds to catch on to and respond to training.
?
2012-12-31 22:28:05 UTC
Hmm is this a yearly concern on Yahoo? Sorry I wasn't here last year. Sounds funny enough.
?
2013-01-01 04:02:35 UTC
Depends on the caliber but most rounds would
WC
2013-01-01 05:59:50 UTC
In some instances, most assuredly.